Friday, March 30, 2012

My Life's Itinerary.....So Far - Part 8

  In August of 1970, I was assigned to Incirlik, Turkey.  I was only stationed there for seven months so I don't have a lot to say about it.  Being the non-adventurous type, I didn't mix into the culture much.  Most everything to be said is in my entry entitled Hup! Twoop! Three! Four - Part 4You can go there and read all about it and save me some typing!  If you click on the map to the left, to enlarge it, you can see a city near the southern coast called Adana.  Incirlik is about 6 miles to the east of Adana.  To the south of Adana, about 20 miles, is Karatas where there was remote site where I spent some Air Force time as mentioned in the above mentioned blog entry.  I had also mentioned some of the guys I hung out with.  I came across a photo (sans me 'cuz I was taking the pic) that I wanted to include:
Right to Left: 'Pop' Matthews, 'Rookie Ryan', 'Severe Scott, and the rest I have forgotten (it's been 41 years for pete's sake!).

In March of 1971 (exactly three years since enlisting), got orders to go back to the States.  However, I took some time off and had a little vacation in England on the way back.  As the Brits would say, I went on holiday.  My friend, Mike, whom I was stationed with when previously in England, and I took a road trip along the southern coast of England right out to the western tip known as Land's End.  It was fun although a bit cool that time of year.  As depicted in the photo on the left, we had some car trouble with Mike's MGB-GT and our smiling mechanic resolving the problem.
  So back to "The World" we go.  ("The World" was our expression for the U.S.).............

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Appreciate Feedback! ironhorse306@yahoo.com