Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Music, Bullets, & Dreams...

  Another song I liked was Deep Purple  (click to listen) by Nino Tempo and April Stevens in 1963.  I was surprised to learn that it was first a hit in 1938, yes, even before my time.  And, of course, Donny and Marie Osmond did a pretty good cover of it in 1975.
Image result for jfk  In 1963, I was a freshman in high school.  Life was so exciting at that age, and the social pressures!  Probably the most dramatic news of that year, was Kennedy's assassination in November.  I heard about it over the school PA system just as the school day was closing.  Riding home on the bus, the normal din was completely absent, absolute silence.  Everyone was affected.  Another emotional event, but of a different sort, was three months previous when Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. gave his 'I Have A Dream' speech.  Then, five years later, he too, was assassinated.
  We have come a long way since 1963, but in some ways we have yet to prove we are an intelligent life form.  There have been many depictions in books and movies of the human race as a violent species, usually being observed by an alien race.  Sometimes they judge that we don't deserve to survive and should be destroyed or maybe they think that we are accomplishing that all by ourselves.  Perhaps they would be right, but there are still heroes amongst us that give me hope.
  In closing, one more song to listen to:  Abraham, Martin & John  by Dion, released in 1968.  It speaks for itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Appreciate Feedback! ironhorse306@yahoo.com