Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Marconi Would Be Proud...



Philco Model 46 circa 1946
They are waiting for me....
  For those that don't know it, I collect antique radios.  I have been doing that for a few years now.  However, I don't spend much time restoring them although I would like to.  Other things are always pre-empting my bench time with the radios. 
  The other day, I decided to sort out my transistor radios and repack them according to brand.  I previously went through my tube radios and they are patiently waiting on the shelf in their shrink wrap for my attention.  If all goes well, I will be tinkering on them soon, maybe commencing during the cold days of winter. 

Philco Model 48 circa 1948

  I have always guesstimated that I had between 100 and 200 radios, without knowing an exact count.  Yesterday, as I finished up my sorting, I came up with an actual grand total.  I was surprised to learn that I had 325 radios!  My wife, Lesley, has often indicated a lack of enthusiasm for my radios (and I for her many shoes) and that's ok.  I wasn't going to share with her the knowledge of how many radios I have, but I think full disclosure is always better in the long run.  She was surprised that I had 325 radios, but took it okay.  I thought she would rush right out and buy a couple hundred pairs of shoes, or dozens of handbags, but she didn't.....yet.
Grundig 2540 circa 1959
  Actually, I have restored a few radios and have been giving them as gifts to family members.  I also have a couple around the house.
  When I am testing a radio, or sometimes I will actually listen to it, I have it tuned to the local AM station that plays oldies.  That is the only thing you should hear coming out of an antique radio!

Who was Guglielmo Marconi?  Read more

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Appreciate Feedback! ironhorse306@yahoo.com