Monday, September 26, 2016

Nostalgia via Madison Avenue

  Many of our memories are with the help of the advertising industries. Through them we have a prolific source of images that stay with us for life. Yup, you guessed it, I am going to review some of them right here and right now!

Image result for cushman's bakery 

Not a nationally known business but one that I remember growing up in the northeast, was Cushman's Bakery. As a child, the Cushman's delivery truck would deliver to homes. In particular, I remember boxes of little cupcakes with different colors of frosting.





Image result for bear alignment


About the same time period, I remember my uncle 'Buddy' who I recollect drove a pickup truck, He must have been a mechanic at the time because it said 'Bear Wheel Alignment Service' on the side. The logo was often seen at garages.









Image result for lucky strike


Though I was never a smoker, I remember being permeated by Lucky Strike cigarette ads (and many others) before cigarette commercials were banned from television. Indelibly burned into my brain was L.S./M.F.T. It was their catch phrase for "Lucky Strike Means Fine Tobacco"








Image result for pepsi

 I think, while growing up, I had a relative that might have worked at Pepsi-Cola. I remember often having a wooden case full of Pepsi bottles on the back porch. There is a logo that had many changes over the years.









Image result for coca cola 

Probably the one that has stuck with me the longest is Coca-Cola. I have always preferred Coke to Pepsi. I have been told that I am addicted to the stuff, but I am not. I have gone a whole week without Coke and survived (barely).
  When I was stationed in Biloxi, Mississippi, in 1968, there was a store down on the beach that had an old Coke vending machine. Insert three pennies and you would get a cold bottle of Coke. That wasn't the prevailing price at the time, but I think more of a way to draw people to the store.


Take care of all your memories. For you cannot relive them. - Bob Dylan


No comments:

Post a Comment

I Appreciate Feedback! ironhorse306@yahoo.com