Monday, December 13, 2010

It's All In The Mind

Image result for state of mind  Why is our mental state such a fragile thing?  Okay, I may be making an unjustified assumption, let me rephrase.  Why is MY mental state such a fragile thing?  Perhaps it is biorhythms, or mood, or external influence, or a combination of everything.  Methinks it is the latter.  I find that I am in a better frame of mind subsequent to a positive event, such as completing a task with better then average success or receiving an unsolicited compliment.  This euphoria can last for the entire day unless it is shattered by a negative event, such as receiving a traffic ticket, or being enraged by the poor driving of someone you are sharing the road with.  I get frustrated because I am not 100% in charge of my thinking process.  Why should I get upset over someone or something I have no control over?  More importantly, why do I lose it when I do have control over a situation and make wrong choices, i.e. exceeding the posted speed limit?  I think it is a response mechanism that we developed when we were young and never refined it.  I believe it all comes down to developing patience and insight.  I find one tool that has always been helpful, and that is to ask myself, "When you look at the big picture, does it really matter?"
  Be thankful for the highlights in Life, large and small, and learn to cope with the challenges as best you can and don't let them take charge of you.

In the long run, we shape our lives, and we shape ourselves. The process never ends until we die. And the choices we make are ultimately our own responsibility. - Eleanor Roosevelt

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Appreciate Feedback! ironhorse306@yahoo.com