Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Me, Myself, And I

  By my nature, I have a tendency to quantify everything.  That in and of itself can have its pros and cons.  Consequently, today's entry is all about being by one's self.  That is, being alone.  Getting back to my number crunching, I calculated that I am alone approximately 50% of my waking hours.  Think about all the time that you are awake and how much of that time you are by yourself.  It will be different for everyone and some of us may wish it was more, some less.  The concept makes me think of a previous entry I made called Your Closest And Longest Friend Is Yourself.
Image result for cartoon tv  When I think about my activities while I am by myself, I wonder how many of them are well chosen.  Most of the time, my job requires me to work by myself, so that time spent is necessary.  I am frequently busy running errands, or working around the house.  What about the time I spend watching television, or passing the time on the computer?  Of course, I like to think my blog entries are necessary, but what if I am wondering what the current temperature is in Sri Lanka?  Probably not necessary.  And there are many times when my blog does get neglected.  It even sends my nasty little emails telling me so (not really but maybe someday when it becomes sentient). There are a lot of things I could be doing that I keep putting off.  I have a kazillion photos to organise.  I have a bunch of old radios to restore but can't do that until I get the shop ship shape.  I can't finish the shop until I finish the exercise room.  And on it goes. 
  Then there is the philosophy that one should take time and 'smell the roses'.  That Life isn't just work, work, work.  I say do whatever you and your conscience are comfortable with.

To affect the quality of the day, that is the highest of arts. - Henry David Thoreau

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Appreciate Feedback! ironhorse306@yahoo.com