Sunday, January 15, 2012

My Life's Itinerary.....So Far - Part 2

  My last entry ended with my being in Kennebunk, Maine.  I would like to start this entry by elaborating on my stay in Kennebunk, since it takes place during my teen years, a very noteworthy part of growing up!   When I arrived at my grandparents home in Kennebunk during the summer of 1963, they were just moving in after leaving Saco, Maine.  At the time, I was under the impression that I was there for the summer, but it turned out to be my permanent residence.  It was a great place to be, nice neighbourhood, nice town, good school and wonderful grandparents, though I didn't fully appreciate them at the time, you know how teenagers can be!
  The little suburban neighbourhood had a dark cloud hanging over it when we arrived.  Recently there had been a gun accident and a teenager received a fatal shot from his friend while they were handling a weapon.  I didn't know the individual who caused the gun to go off, so I couldn't tell you how much his personality changed.  I could tell, however, that he seemed troubled each day that I saw him at the bus stop.  Shortly afterwards, he and his family moved.
  In the Fall, I started the 8th grade.  The junior high building was next to the high school on Fletcher Street.  The following year, I was in high school until I graduated in 1967.  Many life-learning events happened during those five years, as happens to teens while growing up.  Among those events were:

1963-Apr-The nuclear submarine USS Thresher sinks 220 miles east of Cape Cod; all 129 crewmen die.
1963-Oct-I Joined Radio Club
1963-Nov-John F. Kennedy assassinated.
1964-Jun-Summer job working for Hamlyn Brothers Construction.
1964-Oct-I Joined Cross Country
1964-Dec-My first date. (not counting the one mentioned in this blog entry: And They Call It Puppy Love...)
1965-Apr-I Joined Track 
1965-Jun-Summer job working for Hamlyn Brothers Construction.
1966-Jun-Summer job working for Towne & Clark Grocers.
1967-Jan-My grandfather, Frank, passed away, a really good man.
1967-Jan-Apollo 1 : U.S. astronauts Gus Grissom, Edward Higgins White, and Roger Chaffee are killed when fire breaks out in their Apollo spacecraft during a launch pad test.
1967-Jun-Summer job working for 2-Way Communications.
1967-Jul-My first car accident.
1967-Jul-Summer job working for Wells IGA.

  This time period was quite exhilarating as I was learning so many things and 'spreading my wings' and 'feeling my oats' and any other expressions that might apply.  So many friends and neighbours on the street, the Williams' (thanks for the jobs and the friendship of your son!), the York's (thanks for letting me use your car!), the Schneider's (thanks for the odd-jobs and baby sitting!), the Fisher's, the Wheeler's (great home made root beer!), the West's, the Berry's (thanks for the baby sitting jobs!), the Merrill's, and everyone on the street.
  The best part of living on Woodside Drive was waking up to my sister Marianne's trombone practicing in the mornings!  Not!
  I like to think of this time period as the "Happy Days" of my life (as in the TV show).  Although, at the time it seemed very traumatic to me worrying about getting homework done on time and learning about relationships with the opposite sex.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Appreciate Feedback! ironhorse306@yahoo.com