Saturday, February 4, 2012

My Life's Itinerary.....So Far - Part 4

Image result for lackland afb  In the ides of March of 1968, I spent six weeks of basic training at Lackland Air Force Base, outside of San Antonio, Texas.  There is also interesting info about the base here.
  During those six weeks, I never got off the base except for one town liberty.  On that day, the only thing I remember doing was visiting The Alamo which was a lot smaller then I imagined. 
Image result for lucky strikes  If you were a smoker, you could carry your cigarette pack in a container that strapped around your ankle.  That was the only place you could keep them.  You weren't allowed to put them in the numerous pockets on the uniform because it would make a bulge and lack 'military bearing'.  You were only allowed to smoke when given permission to do so.  I told you all that so I could tell you this:  A couple times we were allowed base liberty.  I wasn't a smoker but I did have a cigarette container strapped to my ankle for base liberty.  On those days, I would buy a pocket transistor radio at the BX.  The radio had to be small enough to fit into my cigarette case.  I was suffering music withdrawals so I would have my tunes during the day until I was caught with it and then the radio would be confiscated.  Basic trainees weren't allowed to have radios, but it was worth it.
  After basic training, I had orders to go to technical school in Biloxi, Mississippi, so that is our next stop....

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Appreciate Feedback! ironhorse306@yahoo.com