Sunday, February 12, 2012

My Life's Itinerary.....So Far - Part 5


The Choir

  In the spring of 1968, the Air Force transferred me from Basic Training in Texas to Technical School at Keesler Air Force Base in Biloxi, Mississippi.  On a side note, I came back to Biloxi many years later, but that will probably be mentioned in a later chapter.  The military aspect of my time there is covered in my blog entry:  Hup! Twoop! Three! Four! - Part 1.  I was in Biloxi for less then six months, so my travelogue will be brief!  I spent most of my time on base, because, one, I had everything I needed there, and, two, I wasn't the adventurous type.  Though sometimes I got away.
The Pool
  If I wasn't in class or in the barracks, I spent a lot of time at the nearby swimming pool.  The best tan I ever had was probably while in Tech. School.  For some reason, I started going to the generic church on base and even joined the choir, not that my singing was stellar,  but it was something to do. Ironically. the choir was a lively bunch.  Probably because they were all young people.  One day the choir took an R & R (rest and relaxation) trip to nearby New Orleans.  There we went to the beach and an amusement park and checked out the town at night.
  I wasn't in the base chapel choir very long.  Short time after, I was introduced to another church by my barracks room mate.  I became a member and have been all my life.  Without getting deep and theological, I must say that I cannot imagine nor would I want my life being any other way in a different Time Line if I had not made that choice.
  Another time, a couple of my buddies and I rented a plane and flew around the area for awhile.  Don't worry, one of the guys had a pilot's license.
The Plane
View of the Coast
  It gets very hot and humid in Mississippi.  One day a couple of the guys and I decided to go down to the beach on the gulf.  I had never been there before and never saw such dark and dirty water.  I think it gets all stirred up because of the Mississippi River emptying into it.  The tough part was trying to get comfortable lying on the beach because it was SO HOT!  Now I know what a strip of bacon feels like on a griddle.  It ended up we didn't stay too long.  We walked along the beach front checking out some of the shops then headed back.  I do remember a men's clothing store in particular that had a wonderful old Coke machine that vended bottles of Coke for only three cents.

  This area of the country is known for its own venue of food.  A food connoisseur I am not, but I did try grits and found no fondness there.
  So that was my brief stay at Biloxi.  You may remember that this area was hit hard by Hurricane Katrina in 2005.  I am glad I didn't see anything like that during my stay there.  Oh, oh...I feel a music moment coming......

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Appreciate Feedback! ironhorse306@yahoo.com