Saturday, February 18, 2012

My Twin Brother.....(so to speak)

Buddy Holly
Me in 1969
  It occurred to me, after writing the last blog entry, that I never did a musical tribute to Buddy Holly, one of the most influential musicians in Rock 'n Roll, even with a very short career.  Well, let's fix that! 
  Many of his innovations were done in the recording studio.  One, for example, was using an eighteen piece orchestra when he recorded True Love Ways (click to listen).  It was dedicated to his wife, Maria.
  There was an interesting film about him called The Buddy Holly Story (pretty clever title, eh?).  I'm not sure how accurate it is but I enjoyed it.  Gary Busey plays Buddy, an unlikely casting, I thought, but he did a great job.  Interestingly, he had played in bands before he started acting.
  Here is another one of his songs called That'll Be The Day (click to listen) that he was inspired to write after watching a John Wayne movie called The Searchers where he often said that phrase.  I also like Linda Ronstadt's (the cover queen) version of it.
  After a year and half of success, he died in a plane crash along with Richie Valens and The Big BopperDon McLean wrote a song about their demise called American Pie.
  Thanks for listening!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Appreciate Feedback! ironhorse306@yahoo.com