Monday, November 1, 2010

Unsung Heros

  If there is one job that is not for the glory or the money, it has to be teaching.  If you choose to be a teacher, you are either a masochist or you love what you do.  Especially today when teachers must accomplish the task of imparting knowledge to an often unwilling audience while working with the restraints that are imposed on them by a highly bureaucratic system.  I say God bless them for their efforts!
  When I was growing up, I was fortunate to have many excellent teachers.  Of course I wasn't fully aware of their contributions to my education until later.  When I was in grade school, Mrs. Clark encouraged my interest in technology and Mrs. Winward introduced me to the world of music.  In high school, my educators try to see past my antics as a class clown and patiently worked with me.  One of those teachers was John Anagnostis who we fondly addressed as Mr. 'A'.  He always was sporting a magnificent smile and when he spoke to you, you felt like you and he were the only persons in the world.  He had a talent of making his classes more interesting by intertwining them with your personal interests. 
  Mr. 'A' passed away a week ago and I was disappointed I couldn't see him one more time.  A magnificent credit to his character was displayed in his on-line guest book attached to his obituary.  I have never seen so many entries made in a guest book before.  The majority of entries were former students and they praised him over and over again about his positive influence on there development.  I can see him now at his post mortal vantage point, with his beaming smile, reading the words of his students, and checking their grammar I am sure!
  I am proud to say that I have a son who is also an English teacher and I hope he experiences enough success stories with his students to sustain him through his career and that they remind him what a great work he is doing.

Good teaching is one-fourth preparation and three-fourths pure theatre. - Gail Godwin

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Appreciate Feedback! ironhorse306@yahoo.com