Friday, March 4, 2011

It's A Living - Part 10 - The Last!


Fujitsu 2000

NCR 7445

  It was a bit of a shock to be laid off (see previous entry).  What made it even more insulting was being
told over the phone, at Christmastime, no less.  But it was a blessing in disguise.  I immediately started to think about my options and always thought the best advice was "do what you do best".  Well, that was easy, cash registers.  So after a little scouting around, I applied to and was hired by DUMAC Business Systems, based in Syracuse, NY.  DUMAC. I soon learned it was a sound company that has been operating since 1952.  That is impressive.  I went into the new year of 2004 with a new job.  I wasn't going to be working in Syracuse, but be a remote field engineer for upstate New York, which meant finding a home in the capital district area of Albany.  We chose to live in East Greenbush, on the other side of the Hudson River from Albany.

  My primary area of work is servicing supermarket scanning systems, with occasional installs.  In addition, I may do quick service (fast food) systems from time to time, always Wendy's (a favourite restaurant for me!).  They are always the Panasonic line.
Also occasionally servicing CCTV (closed circuit TV) systems, again, predominately in Wendy's.

NCR 7452


  The prevailing systems  I work on are the Fujitsu 2000 and 3000.  Windows based POS systems using Scanmaster or ISS45 for the store application.  The NCR 7445 has finally died off and the NCR 7452 is almost gone.  We have recently taken on an IBM scanning system.
  I really enjoy this line of work, always have and always will.  I get to work with great co-workers, great customers and there is plenty of variety to the job.
I hope to continue working at DUMAC until I retire and that is good news for you, because that makes this my last blog entry of this series!  Cheers!
 
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius

1 comment:

  1. What? No mention of the DTS 160? I enjoyed the stroll down memory lane! Hope all is well.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete

I Appreciate Feedback! ironhorse306@yahoo.com