Sunday, September 19, 2010

The Big Picture

File:Omaha-beach-cemetery.jpg  Yesterday, I was stuck on the southbound side of the interstate in miles of stopped traffic.  Sitting in a car that is not moving is completely contrary to the concept of the design of the road.  I was listening to the chatter on the CB radio from the truck drivers as well as a safety message that was inserted into the talk.  I learned that five miles ahead there was a fatal accident on the northbound side, that side was completely closed and my side was reduced to one lane.  I have never been able to figure out the math to explain how two lanes of moving traffic can come to a standstill when reduced to one lane.  I suspect it might have something to do with the age old art of rubbernecking.  This was the second time this season that I have been stuck in traffic due to a fatal accident. I learned later that it was a church passenger van with 14 people in it and six of them lost their lives.  The more I thought about it, the more I realised that this is different then being delayed due to road construction.  We are being inconvenienced for thirty minutes while several families are being devastated with life long results for the survivors.  It really puts things in a different perspective.  We see these things happen and forget that the slightest thing in our daily activity that delays us or accelerates us could put us in the right place at the right time with horrible results.  I am not saying that we should be paranoid but that we should appreciate what we have and have sympathy and patience for those who lose what they have.  It reminds me to cherish what I have and never say goodbye to anyone on bad terms.

No one can confidently say that he will still be living tomorrow. - Euripides

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Appreciate Feedback! ironhorse306@yahoo.com