Thursday, September 30, 2010

Music, Food For The Soul

  Whenever I hear certain old songs, I immediately think of where I was when that song was popular, it is like an instant mental time machine.  For example, when I hear Time Won't Let Me by The Outsiders (1966), I think of being in my grandparents living room in Kennebunk, Maine, listening to the copy I bought.
  I was at the Austin School on Philbrick Street in Kittery, Maine, for sixth grade (1960), and my teacher was Mrs. Winward.  I remember she drove a Chevy Bel Air.  She was one of my favourite teachers because she made education fun.  By training, she was a music teacher, but because there were no openings, she took the class room position.  I don't know why I know that, but for some reason I do!  Consequently, we had a lot of music time in class.  Though I am not talented musically, she did instill the love of music into me.  It was in her class that I had my first exposure to classical music, to wit I was fascinated by the magical sound of the Peer Gynt suite by Edvard Grieg.  We would often sing fun songs in class, one of which; Do your ears hang low?  Do they wobble to and fro?  Can you tie them in a knot?  Can you tie them in a bow?.........    Thanks, Mrs. Winward!

Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and cannot remain silent - Victor Hugo

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Appreciate Feedback! ironhorse306@yahoo.com