Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The Good Life

  I know I am preaching to the choir when I say that we take too much for granted.  This fact was regaled to me, today, when I walked to the end of my driveway to see water erupting through the street pavement.  The water main had sprung a leak, oh bother.  My first thought was what kind of inconvenience it would cause me, then it made me think what it was like three or four centuries ago.  Walking down to the river to get buckets of water everyday, not to mention all the other details that go with it; storage, quantity, etc.  Once I had that out of my head, I chatted with the workers repairing the leak and learned it would be about four hours before it is corrected.  This fact conflicted with my need to be somewhere, because my car was hemmed in by the vehicles involved with the pipe repair.  Oh bother again.  Now, in the old days I would just walk to where I was going or if I was lucky, hop on my horse.  We really do have it made with all our modern conveniences.  Even something as basic as running water.  But wait a minute.....  what is the old expression?..."You don't get something for nothing".  Yep, along with all of our modern conveniences and advancements in technology, we also get:  stress, carcinogens, nuclear phobia, necessity of multiple income family, identity theft, and on and on.  Kinda sounds like a trade off, doesn't it?
  Bottom line, I think we make of life what we want to.  We can't control the rest of the world, but we can be in charge of ourselves by making correct choices and balancing our wants and our needs accordingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Appreciate Feedback! ironhorse306@yahoo.com