Friday, August 20, 2010

On The Clock

 
File:Time clock at wookey hole cave museum.JPGWhen I was a kid, I always kept an eagle eye out for empty bottles (cans weren't returnable in the olden days!), then I would cash them in.  Now I can't find a kid in the neighbourhood who will take my empties for free, it just doesn't seem to be worth their while.  When I was fourteen, I couldn't wait for summer.  When it finally arrived, boom, I was out looking for a summer job.  And I did so every summer before college.  The idea of doing something and getting paid for it, gave me a sense of independence.  Since then, work ethics in society has gone into a decline.  It amazes me to hear about people that take their lunch break and never come back to work.  I was on a service call to download video from a closed circuit camera system today, because the business owner suspected that an employee was stealing.  In the first place, it is too bad that businesses have to put in camera systems.  However, since there are opportunities for lawsuits by customers and theft by employees, businesses don't have any choice.  Having to get this evidence reminded my how much the workplace has changed over the years.  A few years back, a former employer was approached by an individual looking for work.  He was told that there weren't any openings available.  Much to my boss's surprise, the man offered to work for one week for nothing and his efforts can be judged.  The man was taken up on his offer, my boss was very impressed and hired him.  My favourite expression about the methods of employment by prospective employees is 'they want to start at the top and work up!'  Whether you are applying for a job at a fast food restaurant, or an executive at a Fortune 500 company, you should properly prepare.  I have actually seen people apply for a job wearing jeans and a distasteful t-shirt with no resume, no reference, and no proper introduction.
  If you want to get the most out of your job, which equates to getting the most out of your life, take pride in what you do, no matter how mundane it is.  Be a professional and your efforts will not go unnoticed and, in time, your situation will improve.  And when the time comes to change jobs, glowing recommendations can be a big help. 
  Your work ethics are an integral part of your character, let it work for you.

Be true to your work, your word, and your friend. - Henry David Thoreau

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Appreciate Feedback! ironhorse306@yahoo.com