Monday, August 23, 2010

Mark On Society

  To me, one of the greatest compliments that anyone could have, is to create something and have it accepted worldwide.  For example, I would be hard pressed to go anywhere in the civilized world and find someone who has not heard of Windows®, or Coca-Cola®, or even Jello®.  My wife often tells me, in jest of course (I think), that I should invent something so we could be well off.  I have sometimes taken that idea seriously, but have not been creative enough to come up with anything, yet.  But the secret to success is proper marketing.  For example, we all know that Thomas Edison was a genius and came up with many inventions (colour me envious).  More importantly, Edison was a good businessman.  That is what made him famous because his business sense knew what was needed and his skills accomplished his goals.  Nikola Tesla was also a genius but he did not gain the fame and notoriety that Edison did, although some of his inventions were more innovative then Edison's.  It is because he didn't have the business and people skills Edison had.
  I was talking to a son, today, about creativity.  He gets a bit frustrated because he has a lot of creativity to unleash and can't really do that where he works.  An inherent problem for an artist of any trade trying to fit himself into the 'system'.  I can't imagine what it is like to have a profession like a writer, or a painter, where you have to tap into those creative juices on demand.  Hence the dilemma of 'writer's block' I guess.  I wonder how an inventor gets his or her ideas?  Do they walk around looking for needs to be filled or do they get a lightening bolt idea?  I am still waiting for my inspiration.  Either it will come when I least expect it, or the realization will come that it isn't going to happen.
  So I don't think I am asking for too much.  All I want is to come up with one idea, the business sense to develop it, let it gain international fame,  and let the royalties pour in!

Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration. - Thomas Edison

I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain. - Nikola Tesla

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Appreciate Feedback! ironhorse306@yahoo.com