Sunday, August 15, 2010

Paying Forward

pay it forward  There is a film that came out in 2000 called Pay It Forward, that you may have seen.  Most people would probably categorize it as too Utopian.  It wasn't a big hit but it certainly had a good message in it.  The basic theme of the film was if someone does something for you, you should do the favour to three other people.
  There have been numerous things that have been done for me, both large and small.  I couldn't even begin to try and 'catch up' by 'paying forward' all the kindnesses to me.  Here are some examples:

1.  My grandparents took me in and raised me until I was on my own.  I recognised too late how much they sacrificed for me.  Instead I was an immature teenager with no expression of gratitude.

2.  When one of my children was stricken with an eye disease, it was tough going because we had no insurance.  The eye surgeon was sympathetic and did not bill us for any of his services.

3.  When I went cross country to start and new job, friends let me stay with them for an extended period of time and treated me like family until I could get my family moved out to join me and get situated.

I imagine that the givers of kindnesses might think of the concept of paying forward for kindnesses they received.  In spite of all the turmoil in the world, there is always a shining example of good.

Carry out a random act of kindness, with no expectation of reward, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you." - Princess Diana

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Appreciate Feedback! ironhorse306@yahoo.com